AbSec advocates for Aboriginal community-controlled organisations delivering services for our children, young people, families and communities.
We lead the design and development of policies and strategies on issues impacting Aboriginal families and communities, lobby government and build organisational capacity to support the Aboriginal-controlled sector, while embedding sustainability and accountability into everyday best practice. See more about our sector support initiatives here.
A growing sector
The NSW Government has committed to transition Aboriginal children in out-of-home care to Aboriginal agencies, but due to the increasing numbers of our kids in care, this means our sector needs to expand, not only to provide support for Aboriginal kids in care, but focusing more on prevention, restoration and early intervention to reduce the numbers of kids coming into or staying in care long term, where possible.
Aboriginal community-controlled organisations offering out-of-home care
The following are accredited Aboriginal organisations currently providing Aboriginal child and family services in NSW to Aboriginal communities.
- Abcare (Coffs Harbour Aboriginal Community Care Centre)
- Biripi Aboriginal Corporation
- Burrun Dalai Aboriginal Corporation
- Illawarra Aboriginal Corporation – Myimbarr Aboriginal Family Support
- Muloobinba Aboriginal Corporation
- Ngunya Jarjum Child & Family Network
- South Coast Medical Service Aboriginal Corporation
- Woomera Aboriginal Corporation
Other Aboriginal community-controlled organisations offering child and family services
There are a number of other Aboriginal community controlled organisations in NSW providing services to Aboriginal families and communities
- Bunjum Aboriginal Corporation
- Link Up (NSW) Aboriginal Corporation
- Riverina Medical and Dental Aboriginal Corporation
- Yerin Aboriginal Health Services Inc.
- Tharawal Aboriginal Corporation – Oorunga Wandarrah MACS
- Towri MACS Centre
- Bungaree Aboriginal Association Inc
Aboriginal Child and Family Centres:
- Ngallu Wal Aboriginal Child and Family Centre
- Yenu Allowah Aboriginal Child and Family Centre
- Winanga-Li Aboriginal Child and Family Centre
- Nikinpa Aboriginal Family and Child Care Centre
- Waranwarin Early Childhood and Family Centre
- Cullunghutti Aboriginal Child and Family Centre
Protecting Aboriginal Children Together (PACT)
Intensive Family Based Services (IFBS)
- Burrun Dalai Intensive Family Based Service
- Bungree Intensive Family Based Service
- Ngangaagi Intensive Family Based Service
- Clarence Valley Intensive Family Based Service
Aboriginal medical services (AMS)
You can find a list of Aboriginal community-controlled health services in NSW on the Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council website. Some of these offer specialised services for children and families.